Greasby history to 1066
Greasby village has a
long history - Liverpool Museum (link) reports that the earliest recorded human
settlement in the Merseyside area was near Greasby Copse.
Evidence such as a fireplace
and stone tools found during excavations (1987 - 1990) date the site at
around 7000 BC (during the Mesolithic period).
In his book 'Ancient Britain'
(published in 1997) James Dyer describes the structure found at Greasby and
states his belief that it "seems almost certainly to be the earliest
dwelling found in Britain". He dates it at around 8000 BC.
Before the Romans occupied
Chester (74AD to 383AD) the Wirral peninsula (which was then called Kilgwri)
was occupied by a Celtic tribe, the Cornavii.
Evidence of a Roman road is
continuous from Chester to Willaston (at Willaston it is called Street Hey
Lane) and remains have been found in Barnston (behind the church).
Excavations in Greasby
in 1965 proved that Barker Lane was of Roman origin (official
confirmation was not until around 1980) and Roman remains such as coins,
jewellery and weapons, have been found at Meols.
It is likely that Greasby was on the important Roman road from Chester to Meols.
After the departure of the
Romans, waves of Teutronic tribes - Saxons, Jutes and Angles -
entered Britain and by the middle of the seventh century Anglo-Saxons had
conquered nearly all of the Wirral peninsula.
Norsemen, known today as
Vikings but at the time called Ostmen, raided between 870 and 924 and they
eventually settled in the area.
At the time of the
Norman invasion (1066), Greasby was under the control of a man called
Dunning. He was an official (bailiff or steward) for the landowners, the
earls of Mercia.
William the Conquerer gave
Cheshire to Hugh de Avranches (also called Hugh Lupus) and he (Lupus) gave
Greasby to Nigel de Burcey.